How to best handle ports mislinking against locally installed copies?

Edward Sanford Sutton, III mirror176 at cox.net
Sat Mar 26 09:44:07 UTC 2011

As an example, net/avahi-app fails to build on my machine because of the
error:
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libicui18n.so.38" not found, required
by "libavahi-glib.so.1"
This can be fixed by removing the port before building so that it is unable to
link against /usr/local/lib/libavahi-glib.so.1 and instead correctly links
against ./work/avahi-0.6.29/avahi-glib/.libs/libavahi-glib.so.1 but is it
correct to assume uninstall is needed before attempting to build a new
version or are there suggested fixes or examples of working through this?
I can try to dig up other examples I have ran into in detail but was wondering
about the general approach and if the freebsd ports tree likes to fix it,
note it, or ignore it?
Thanks again,
Edward Sanford Sutton, III