[ECFT] pkgng 0.1-alpha1: a replacement for pkg_install

Fri Mar 25 14:26:55 UTC 2011

Quoting Baptiste Daroussin <bapt at FreeBSD.org> (from Fri, 25 Mar 2011
11:11:11 +0100):

> pkgng is a binary package manager written from scratch for FreeBSD.

I didn't had a look at it, just some comments about some parts you explained.

> features supported are or will be :

> - the register command can analyse elf files when registering a new port to
> discover forgotten dependencies if necessary. (done in alpha using libelf)

This will probably fail if LD_LIBRARY_PATH is used, or if we are
installing linuxulator ports.

> - new +MANIFEST (plist-like format) with new metadatas : options, arch, os
> version, etc. (done in the alpha)
>
> - pkgng supports checking arch of the package which means that users
> won't be able to install sparc64 binary package into amd64 machines.
> (not done yet)
>
> - a special architecture "all" allows to specify when a package can be used
> on every architecture. (not done yet)

What if a package is able to install on a subset, e.g. the linuxulator
ports are for amd64 and i386?

>  In term of technology we decided to use a sqlite3 database, and to
>  prevent potential trolling, sqlite3 is used in it's amalgamation form
>  which means it is incorporated in the code sources (as recommanded by
>  sqlite developpers like a statically linked library) on build we only
>  activate the features we need in sqlite.
>
>  The alpha release come with an experimental tool "pkg2ng" to convert
>  an existing package database to the new pkgng database format. So one
>  can test pkgng without rebuild all its packages.

What about DB corruption/loss? Do you keep the
/var/db/pkg/<package>/xxx files even with pkgng and only use the DB as
a way to speed up some work (so the DB corruption just requires to run
pkg2ng), or are you lost of the DB is lost?

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Real computer scientists don't comment their code.  The identifiers are
so long they can't afford the disk space.