KDE and GNOME release packages do not play well together

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Tue Mar 22 19:35:09 UTC 2011

At work we have folks use FreeBSD desktops.  To do this we install pre-package
versions of both KDE and GNOME (and a few other window managers) onto our
desktop build machine so that users can choose which environment they want.

This would appear to no longer be a supported use case in for 8.2 packages
(and if you believe posts on the forums, 8.1 was equally broken).  Namely,
some package the GNOME depends on wants to use unixODBC, and some other
package that KDE depends on wants to use libiodbc.  The simplest suggestion in
the forums appears to be to change the gnome package (devel/ptlib26) to use
libiodbc instead.

Can we please fix the default so that the pre-built package set works in the
future?  This sort of thing is important if we want to still support desktops
in lab or corporate environments where you have a lot of identically-installed
machines.

--
John Baldwin