mysql-client-5.5.10 fails to install properly, breaking all dependant ports

Patrick Powell papowell at astart.com
Sun Mar 20 22:49:58 UTC 2011

On 03/20/11 14:38, Steven Hartland wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Patrick Powell" <papowell at astart.com>
>> My bad.  That was mysql_upgrade.  Sorry for the confusion.  How about
>> mysql_install_db?
>
> Can't test that I'm afraid as the machine is now in production. Might
> want
> to make sure the old mysql pkg was removed correctly before the new
> version was installed.
>
> If you want to compare your version with the one we have I've uploaded
> to: http://www.multiplaygameservers.com/dropzone/mysql_install_db.gz
>
> Hope that helps.
>
>    Regards
>    Steve

> This e.mail is private and confidential between Multiplay (UK) Ltd.
> and the person or entity to whom it is addressed. In the event of
> misdirection, the recipient is prohibited from using, copying,
> printing or otherwise disseminating it or any information contained in
> it.
> In the event of misdirection, illegible or incomplete transmission
> please telephone +44 845 868 1337
> or return the E.mail to postmaster at multiplay.co.uk.

Yep.  Still messed up:

At the start you have:

basedir=""
builddir=""
ldata="./data"
langdir=""
srcdir=""

This should be:

basedir="/usr/local" <<<< finds /usr/local/bin
builddir=""
ldata="/var/db/mysql/" <<<< set up by some other parts of the configure
script
                               but not put into mysql_install_db script
langdir=""
srcdir=""

I use this quite heavily in some test scripts and installation scripts.
Not to mention
that it pops up during the MySQL installation.   You also might have a
peek at the
messages put out during installation.  They say something like ... start
using:
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh start << drop the .sh

I would have put in a formal PR but I gave up trying to patch the source
code.
Perhaps a little edit script in the pre-install part of the make file?

--
Patrick Powell                 Astart Technologies
papowell at astart.com            1530 Jamacha Road, Suite X,