sysutils/gpart: deprecated port, anyone interested?

Rainer Hurling rhurlin at gwdg.de
Wed Mar 16 19:00:27 UTC 2011

On 16.03.2011 18:54 (UTC+1), Michal Varga wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-03-16 at 10:36 -0700, Jason Helfman wrote:
>
>> Whoops :)
>>
>> I ran the base gpart, so not sure if it works, but I suppose it could, just
>> not on my system.
>>
>> [jhelfman at eggman ~/ports/sysutils/gpart]$ sudo /usr/local/sbin/gpart show
>>
>> *** Fatal error: open(show): No such file or directory.
>>
>> -jgh
>>

> gpart (the port, not the base geom tool) doesn't work that way, you're
> still confusing the two. sysutils/gpart is a tool for rebuilding broken
> partitions, so the parameter you're looking for is a device name, not
> "show" (what the error message basically told you).

gpart in sysutils/gpart stands for 'guess partitions'. Its an old, but
very useful tool for repairing partitions. Unfortunately it does not
work on amd64.

If someone is willing to update the port: I have an original tarball
'gpart-0.1h.tar.gz'. It would need a new home ;-)

#cat pkg-descr
A port of a tool which tries to guess the primary partition table of a
PC-type hard disk in case the primary partition table in sector 0 is
damaged, incorrect or deleted. The guessed table can be written to a
file or device.
Supported (guessable) filesystem or partition types: DOS/Windows FAT,
Linux ext2 and swap, OS/2 HPFS, Windows NTFS, FreeBSD and Solaris/x86
disklabels, Minix FS, Reiser FS
WWW: http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/user/76201/gpart/

Rainer Hurling