can make -j be used for ports?

Eitan Adler lists at eitanadler.com
Wed Mar 16 03:07:44 UTC 2011

> 1.
I want to know if there is perhaps a conf file or sysctl where I can
> specify this *for ports only.* - if not I'm happy to specify on the
> command line. It's just that the manual is a tad unclear about this.

Yes - simply install ports as normal:
specifically unless you specifically tell the ports system otherwise
you will be the maximum amount of supported parallelization.

.if defined(MAKE_JOBS_SAFE) || defined(FORCE_MAKE_JOBS)
MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER?=      `${SYSCTL} -n kern.smp.cpus`
_MAKE_JOBS?=            -j${MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER}

causes ports to be build with the proper number of jobs for your
system. If you wish to override this number change MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER.

DO NOT manually set -j when running make install from the ports
directory. It will only hurt,

--
Eitan Adler