deprecated ports

Baptiste Daroussin baptiste.daroussin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 22:24:34 UTC 2011

2011/3/15 Charlie Kester <corky1951 at comcast.net>

> On Tue 15 Mar 2011 at 14:59:57 PDT Jason Helfman wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 02:58:01PM -0700, Charlie Kester thus spake:
>>
>>> I see there's been another few batch commits deprecating some
>>> unmaintained ports where "upstream is gone and/or distfile is no longer
>>> available."
>>>
>>> Maintainers and prospective maintainers should be sure to look at the
>>> ports listed in these commits.  I don't think much effort was made to
>>> check the availability of the distfiles.  Instead, it seems that all
>>> that was done was to try the MASTER_SITES, etc. from the port Makefiles,
>>> and if the fetch failed, onto the list they went.
>>>
>>> NOTE: I'm NOT saying the committers' procedure was too lazy or anything
>>> like that.  There are a lot of these broken ports in the tree, and
>>> deprecation seems like a reasonable step to take -- especially if the
>>> result is to trigger some action from people who want to see these ports
>>> retained.
>>>
>>> I just rescued one of these, sysutils/lookat, that was deprecated a few
>>> days ago.  I followed the WWW link in the pkg-descr, found that the
>>> author's website was still up and that the distfile could still be
>>> downloaded -- but the download url had changed.  So all the port needed
>>> was a tweak to the MASTER_SITES.
>>>
>>> Today I see that the fairly popular graphics/gimpshop has also been
>>> deprecated.  Here the WWW link from pkg-descr also fails, but a quick
>>> websearch found the new (?) official website for this app:
>>> http://www.gimpshop.com, where the distfile is available for download.
>>> So here's another one that can be easily rescued.
>>>
>>> And I'll bet there are more.
>>>
>>>  To this point I just found another:
>> sysutils/idled was just deprecated the other day.
>>
>> In following some weblinks, I found that doinkd has replaced it:
>> sysutils/doinkd
>>
>> :)
>>
>> Maybe the DEPRECATION line should be altered.
>>

> Two more found with a simple web query:
>
> finance/xinvest and finance/xquote are now on sourceforge.
> http://xinvest.sourceforge.net/
>
> BTW, I don't use either of these, or gimpshop, so I'm not going to fix
> the ports myself.  Instead, I'll leave that to anyone who's interested.

Concerning those two try to follow a single link on the main website, they
are all broken and I tested them.

The workaround would have been to goes from the sourceforge interface to the
project page instead of being confident on the website of the project
(normally non stalled project have working websites).

But you are right I should have gone the the sourceforge project page and
then try to download the files.