portmaster comments

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Mon Mar 14 00:45:52 UTC 2011

On 3/13/2011 5:35 PM, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> Hi Doug,
>
> I'd like to raise a couple of nits with portmaster (primarily a wish
> for more configurability):
>
> 1) In v3.0, you added code to nice(1) all make(1) invocations.  In some
> cases, the default niceness does not suit me (in particular, I'd often
> prefer '0' to '10').  Would it be possible to add an option to control
> the priority?
>
> 2) In v3.6, you added a "find $WRKDIRPREFIX ..." to the cleanup.  For
> various reasons, I have _lots_ of unrelated stuff under that tree and
> so the find(1) takes an unacceptably long time to run.  It would be
> nice to restrict that search to $WRKDIRPREFIX${.CURDIR} and have an
> option to disable it completely.

Neither is likely to happen. :)  I may however remove 1, it didn't
really help much, if at all. As for 2, my suggestion is to have a
WRKDIRPREFIX for development stuff, and a different one for portmaster.
It's pretty easy to do with a make.conf knob searching for whether
UPGRADE_TOOL is set to "portmaster." I have such a thing which I can
send you if you really need me to, but I'm not booted into FreeBSD right
now so I don't have it close to hand.

BTW, the reason I'm not amenable to your suggestion in 2 is that only a
few developer-types actually care about this, and that doesn't justify
the code complexity. Just be thankful I didn't go with my first
instinct, which was to 'rm -rf $WRKDIRPREFIX' :)

hth,

Doug

			-- OK Go