[HEADS UP] GNU make 3.82

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sat Mar 12 21:34:59 UTC 2011

On 03/12/2011 12:45, Mark Linimon wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 09:14:50PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
>> There are way too many things happening "in private" around here and
>> the only way to solve that problem is to open the doors.
>
> Would you please offer examples of decisions that you feel that way about?

Clearly it would be inappropriate for me to comment publicly on things
that were discussed in private, so no, I'm not going to do that.

Meanwhile, I've been fairly vocal in public about my concerns with the
direction that ports management has taken over the last several years,
and I think that the fact that (for starters) we don't have consistent
or timely packages being built for any of our branches is a pretty good
indication that things are not moving in the direction that they need to
be, and that throwing open the doors to get more input (and more help)
is the right way to go.

FreeBSD generally, and ports in particular, has one of the most
pathologically incestuous modes of operation I've ever seen, even taking
into account that it is a volunteer organization. And while there have
been plenty of good things that have happened with FreeBSD to a large
extent this "keep it in the family" mentality has caused a great deal of
stagnation. Take a look around at what other OS' are accomplishing, with
a fraction of the resources we have available.

Doug

			-- OK Go