[HEADS UP] GNU make 3.82

Ade Lovett ade at FreeBSD.org
Fri Mar 11 03:46:18 UTC 2011

On Mar 10, 2011, at 18:09 , Doug Barton wrote:
> First, my point was not "there are going to be a lot of gmake ports," my point was, "there will be >1 for a long time after it's split into >1." You have now proved my point, thanks.

Apples and oranges, my friend.  Given the sheer amount of stuff we have in ports/, there is a small amount of stuff that hasn't been updated in forever, nor ever will be, requiring the "legacy" autoconf-2.13/automake-1.4

Go look up pkgsrc.  Or any Linux distribution.  You'll find both of them lying there.  I'd love to nuke them, and those ports that require them to build, but people tend to get upset when Really Important Application (sic) gets removed from under them.

As for the rest of your post.  It's the usual diatribe.  If you think you can do better, by all means, step up to the plate and actually _do_ something.  Like yours truly has done reducing libtool to 1 version, and autoconf/automake to 2 versions (legacy and current).

Unless you're prepared to step up to the plate, offer alternate _concrete_ plans (as I have already done) and are willing to spend considerable brain and cpu cycles to get to the desired solution, you have no right to question what _is_ being done by those that _are_ doing it.

This is _not_ a democracy.  The war cry of "Patches Welcome" should be obvious in that fact.

So.  Let's see your patches.  Seriously.  Hell, if someone else takes this on (and note, it is only a matter of time before something fundamental _requires_ GNU make 3.82, so we can't just bury our heads in the sand), go for it.

Didn't think so.

-aDe