[HEADS UP] GNU make 3.82

Ade Lovett ade at FreeBSD.org
Thu Mar 10 20:53:08 UTC 2011

On Mar 10, 2011, at 14:21 , Doug Barton wrote:
> What I'm suggesting is that the URL for the logs of that run get posted here, along with contacting the maintainers of the affected ports. Then let's see what people have to say about getting them fixed sooner rather than later. Can you explain why doing that would be a bad idea?

Those 50 or so ports are not the complete picture.  Some of them are preventing other ports from being built.  So, we cycle through an -exp run adding USE_GMAKE=381 (it's not a library or anything, just an executable, and in the context of clean building, only one or the other will exist for a specific port -exp build, so there's no question of interaction) until we have _all_ of the affected ports.

Then the list gets posted somewhere, USE_GMAKE=381 goes active, then there's a period (6-7 months) for folks to clean things up, at which point USE_GMAKE=381 does exactly the same as USE_GMAKE=yes (use gmake-3.82) -- ports that get fixed after this date simply change USE_GMAKE=381 -> USE_GMAKE=yes (cosmetic change only), and a list of known-broken ports can still be determined by grepping for 'USE_GMAKE=381'.  If updates to those ports fix them, change USE_GMAKE back to 'yes'.

> I admire your optimism, however experience tells us that once these types of accomodations get into the tree, they stay there for a long time.

There is no issue of optimism about it.  gmake-3.82 _will_ be the sole version of GNU make in the tree by (at latest) the end of this year.

-aDe