Superfluous dependencies

Josh Paetzel josh at tcbug.org
Thu Mar 10 20:19:12 UTC 2011

On Thursday, March 10, 2011 03:28:40 am Hans Ottevanger wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 3:51 PM, Michael Scheidell
>
> <michael.scheidell at secnap.com> wrote:
> > On 3/8/11 4:42 AM, Hans Ottevanger wrote:
> >> One of them that I already hunted down is bison-2.4.3,1 that gets
> >> dragged in via gobject-introspection-0.9.12_1 when installing
> >> xorg-7,5.1 (even as a package). This is caused by bison specified as a
> >> dependency of type "both" in the port Makefile of
> >> gobject-introspection where it should be specified as "build". I don't
> >> think that Bison is used on run-time here and most likely not even on
> >> build- time.

FWIW, I was just investigating why bison made it into a embedded device I'm
working on, and if you look at the sources for gobject-introspection, there is
actually a code path where bison is used at run time.

While it seems unlikely it would be used, it is technically a runtime depend.

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel