FreeBSD Port: mysql-server-5.5.9

joeb joeb at a1poweruser.com
Thu Mar 10 19:54:19 UTC 2011

I have been using mysql since fbsd 7.2 and always just issued the
mysql_install_db command on the command line to create mysql's control
databases and it always worked fine.

But now with fbsd 8.2 I get the following error and have no idea why.
I installed using pkg_add -r mysql55-server command.

I see that 3 weeks ago you updated the mysql55-server port from mysql 554 to
559.
I believe there is an error in your update causing the mysql_install_db
command to error out.
The error message follows.

# /usr/local/bin >mysql_install_db --user=mysql      or
#root >mysql_install_db --user=mysql

FATAL ERROR: Could not find ./bin/my_print_defaults

If you compiled from source, you need to run 'make install' to
copy the software into the correct location ready for operation.

If you are using a binary release, you must either be at the top
level of the extracted archive, or pass the --basedir option
pointing to that location.
********* end of error msg. ********

# /usr/local/bin >locate my_print_defaults
/usr/local/bin/my_print_defaults

As you can see the script the error message says it can not find is really
in the same location as
the mysql_install_db script, so it should have found it.

I ended up pointing to the 8.1 packages with the pkg-add command to install
and then
the mysql-server5.5.4  mysql_install_db command ran from the command line
without any errors.