FreeBSD needs fresh Blood!

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Tue Mar 8 17:13:17 UTC 2011

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011, Warren Block wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Mar 2011, Michel Talon wrote:

>> My experience is that all FreeBSD ports tools are incredibly slow, be it
>> portupgrade, portmaster, even the basic tools like pkg_version. Maybe it
>> would help to recognize that such observations are perhaps not unrelated to
>> the original poster comments.
>
> I don't understand what you mean by that last sentence.  OP was talking about
> the difficulty of using or merging alternate ports trees, AFAIR. Sorry about
> the topic drift; we can start a new thread if appropriate.

And of course now I see it: the OP also mentioned the delay in
rebuilding INDEX after merging ports trees.

That was a problem back before the ports cluster built INDEX files for
download, and there were Perl and other implementations that could
rebuild a local index faster than the stock ports implementation.  Can't
recall exactly what they were.  If still applicable, integrating those
faster methods into the ports system would be a solid improvement.