[CFT] Likewise-open preliminary port

Brooks Davis brooks at freebsd.org
Fri Jun 24 15:37:08 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 10:09:23AM +0200, Ganael Laplanche wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Over the past few weeks, I've been working on a Likewise-open [1] port and am
> starting to get something useable.
>
> Technically speaking, the port builds fine on x86 and amd64 platforms (gcc-
> only ATM) and is able to use libraries from the ports tree instead of the ones
> bundled in the source tarball.
>
> Basic functionality has been tested : with a local account database (SQLite),
> I was able to retrieve account information through nsswitch as well as
> authenticate a user on sshd through PAM. The CIFS server also works : a local
> Likewise user is able to connect to it.
>
> Anyway, I am not a Likewise expert and there are still several -important-
> tests to perform :
> - Try to join an Active Directory server and use it as an authentication
> source, instead of the local SQLite DB
> - Play with client-side commands (lwio-copy, lwio-fuse-mount) ; I could not
> get them work (see below) but I may have missed something
> - Try advanced CIFS server configurations
>
> Here are also remaining tasks that have to be done before the port can hit the
> tree :
> - Write a rc.d startup script (probably a wrapper to the provided init.d
> scripts)
> - Fix build with clang
> - Try to build with Heimdal (?)
>
> I would be pleased to get feedback from you... any help or comment is welcome
> !

Have you tried asking Likewise for the ports they appear to be using
internally to build packages for FreeBSD?  While the normal Likewise
install location in /opt/likewise is non-standard, I suspect most
likewise users hardcode it in their scripts.  I know I do.  It seems
generally useful to ease the upgrade path from a likewise-open port to
likewise-enterprise.

-- Brooks