portlint(1) knobs order: let's make things more logical

Alexey Dokuchaev danfe at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 22 09:23:21 UTC 2011

[ Subject changed to reflect new course of the discussion ]

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 09:56:55AM +0100, Chris Rees wrote:
> COMMENT
>
> LICENSE
>
> So license in a separate block; you can have several license lines
> making the MAINTAINER/COMMENT block unnecessarily large.

Agree here; space looks nice and natural.

> Not too sure about keeping _DEPENDS with USE; there're additional
> variables often set with USE, perhaps a block for _DEPENDS and then
> USE etc underneath? (could follow with USERS/GROUPS).

Yes, _DEPENDS first and USE_ below.  Of course, for complicated ports both
of them can be set downwards the Makefile depending on various conditions.

> LIB_DEPENDS=
>
> BUILD_DEPENDS=
>
> RUN_DEPENDS=

These three are normally not separated by extra blank line.  Also, I think
it makes more sense to list BUILD_DEPENDS first (think this: first come,
first go during the build (well, they normally stay, but can be purged after
build finishes).  LIB_DEPENDS come second (required for both build and
runtime), RUN_DEPENDS should be last.

Here I once again want to mention that recommended way (per PH)

    BUILD_DEPENDS=	...
    RUN_DEPENDS:=	${BUILD_DEPENDS)

is better that what people sometimes use to avoid dependency pollution bug:

    RUN_DEPENDS=	...
    BUILD_DEPENDS=	RUN_DEPENDS

As the latter is unnatural (we build stuff before we run it).

> USE_FOO
> FOO_ARGS
> USE_BAR
>
> USERS