[ANNOUNCE]: clang compiling ports

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Jun 20 18:00:05 UTC 2011

On Jun 20, 2011, at 9:35 AM, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> What I would like is a primer on how to suppress all the warnings and errors created by K&R code.

OK:

   http://clang.llvm.org/docs/UsersManual.html#cl_diagnostics

Of course, you can only suppress warnings; you cannot suppress actual errors.

clang doesn't currently support -traditional aka pure K&R C.  It's possible that compiling with -ansi aka -std=c89 might help-- at least you should get -Wno-implicit-function-declaration and maybe -Wno-implicit-int.

> Also, why is this an error:
> error: non-void function 'top_button_cross' should return a value [-Wreturn-type]
> when most everything else is a warning.  (See http://pointyhat.freebsd.org/errorlogs/amd64-errorlogs/e.9-exp.20110616185105/xppaut-5.99.log.)

top_button_cross() probably should be declared as returning void.  What's presumably happening is that it gets a default return type of int since it doesn't otherwise specify a return type, and then fails to have an explicit return, which is an error.

Regards,
--
-Chuck