FreeBSD Port: dnsmasq-2.57_3,1

Sahil Tandon sahil at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jun 19 16:12:04 UTC 2011

Please, do not top-post.

On Sun, 2011-06-19 at 16:12:14 +0200, Pierre PEYRONNEL wrote:

> So I installed a real FreeBSD 8.2-LATEST in a VM and dug more. It
> turns out that :

8.2-LATEST does not exist, so you must mean something else.  But that is
besides the point: to get a newer dnsmasq package, you do not need to
(re-)install FreeBSD.

> - the dnsmasq package is not broken, but i don't see why it needs the
> EXACT version libidn-1.16 to really work (on a fresh system the exact
> libidn-1.16 gets installed)

Let's try this again: by default, on a 8.2-RELEASE system, the dnsmasq
package you download with 'pkg_add -r' is the one that was built in
mid-February, around when 8.2-RELEASE was officially released.  At that
time, dns/libidn was at version 1.16, which corresponds to libidn.so.16,
which has been been the *shlib* version since the dns/libidn *port* was
at version 0.5.8.

> - when installing on a system that has a higher libidn (like 1.19...)
> pkg_add issues a warning but dnsmasq actually does not work, as it
> looks for 1.16 - the libidn-1.19 package actually gives you
> libidn.so.17

This is expected behavior, because you downloaded an OLDER dnsmasq
package, in which the libidn-1.16 was recorded.

> So... I ended up using the oldest trick : - ln -s libidn.so.16
> libidn.so.17

Instead of that kludge, you could simply download a newer dnsmasq
package that is linked with libidn.so.17, which comes with libidn-1.19.
For example:

 % env PACKAGESITE=ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8-stable/Latest/ pkg_add -r dnsmasq

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil at FreeBSD.org>