FreeBSD Port: dnsmasq-2.57_3,1

Sahil Tandon sahil at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jun 19 07:31:27 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-06-18 at 22:37:36 +0200, Pierre PEYRONNEL wrote:

> i'm trying to install on my FreeNAS 8.0 system (based on FreeBDS 8.2)
> the  dnsmasq package as described on this page :
> http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=dnsmasq&stype=all
>
> where it says it needs libidn-1.19
>
> but once installed (with pkg_add -r dnsmasq), i get the following :
>
> [root at freenas /usr/local/sbin]# ./dnsmasq /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared
> object "libidn.so.16" not found, required by "dnsmasq"
>
> - why isn't it linked with libidn.so ? i'm thinking it would prevent
> the version issue with this lib.

pkg_add(1) fetched an older package of dnsmasq which, in turn, had been
linked against the older libidn library.  This is expected behavior if
you are running -RELEASE, as documented in the FreeBSD Handbook (4.4.1
Installing a Package):

 Note: pkg_add(1) will download the latest version of your application
 if you are using FreeBSD-CURRENT or FreeBSD-STABLE. If you run a
 -RELEASE version, it will grab the version of the package that was built
 with your release. It is possible to change this behavior by overriding
 PACKAGESITE. For example, if you run a FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE system, by
 default pkg_add(1) will try to fetch packages from
 ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8.1-release/Latest/.
 If you want to force pkg_add(1) to download FreeBSD 8-STABLE packages,
 set PACKAGESITE to
 ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8-stable/Latest/.

> - can this be fixed in ports ? (or will i need to install a full
> FreeBSD 8.2 and recompile it with the libidn version i need ?)

There is no problem to be fixed; either compile the dnsmasq port
yourself, or fetch a -STABLE package.

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil at FreeBSD.org>