tinderbox question

Alexey Shuvaev shuvaev at physik.uni-wuerzburg.de
Fri Jun 17 15:26:46 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 06:24:57PM +0400, Ruslan Mahmatkhanov wrote:
> 17.06.2011 18:14, Ruslan Mahmatkhanov пишет:
> >Good day.
> >
> >How can i `inject` updated (or new) port into tinderbox Build to test it for
> >correctness? I mean i have not any troubles to build any existing port, but what
> >should i do to place updated or new port into the tinderbox portstree?
> >

> Ok, it seems i got it.
> I have /usr/local/tinderbox/8.2-FreeBSD/usr/ports/ that is symlinked
> to /usr/local/tinderbox/8.2-FreeBSD/a/ports/. It's nullfs mounted fs
> and it's read-only. I realise that i can just patch
> /usr/local/tinderbox/portstrees/FreeBSD/ports to achive this goal,
> but i'm not sure if this is Right Thing or there is some another
> correct way. This procedure isn't mentioned in Tinderbox Users Guide
> (maybe it should be too obvious) so i ask there. Thanks.

Well, I think it is too obvious. Or, to say better, there are too many ways
to do it. Personally, I build "official" ports in tinderbox. So, I
null-mount /usr/ports to whatever tinderbox wants it to. If I want to test
updated port I move original category/port to caterogy/port.orig and place
the new port into category/port (all under /usr/ports). After testing
I remove category/port and move original port back. This way csup/portsnap
works as usual, keeping /usr/ports up-to-date.
The big changes like marcuscom or area51 repos are handled the same way,
but globally. So "mv /usr/ports /usr/ports.orig", then copy/patch/fetch/...
the new ports tree into /usr/ports, test the things, and move back at the end.

I find this strategy optimal for occasional ports testing, if you are
continiously working with the side repos like above, adding multiple ports
trees into tinderbox is (IMHO) the way to go. This is described in
tinderbox README.

HTH,
Alexey.