Mailman + postfix <-- which group have people selected?

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Jun 14 20:12:01 UTC 2011

On Jun 14, 2011, at 11:43 AM, Chris Rees wrote:
> Before I revert the MAIL_GID=nobody change (I have had private mail
> explaining that it is in fact incorrect), does anyone have any more
> information on which value is more correct, and why one is preferable?

Basically, Postfix will deliver to the owner of Mailman's alias file.  So long as that is owned by mailman user, and so long as the mailman user has the mailman group as it's primary GID, then running with --with-mail-gid=mailman is correct.

You'll probably find Mailman's documentation helpful:

  http://wiki.list.org/display/DOC/Understanding+group+mismatch+errors+-+how+mailman+implements+security
  http://www.seaglass.com/postfix/mailman-gid.html

Regards,
--