Mailman + postfix <-- which group have people selected?

Chris Rees crees at freebsd.org
Tue Jun 14 18:43:36 UTC 2011

Hi all,

Before I say anything else, please _do not_ bother wxs@ on this
subject -- any problems to do with ownership/groups in mailman should
be sent to me-- it's my mess!

I fixed mailman recently to not touch PREFIX before the install phase,
which opened up a small can of worms in itself -- a fix is waiting for
approval.

The PR at [1] states that the value for MAIL_GROUP for using mailman
with Postfix should be nobody, but [2] talks about that being wrong.

Before I revert the MAIL_GID=nobody change (I have had private mail
explaining that it is in fact incorrect), does anyone have any more
information on which value is more correct, and why one is preferable?

In short (pseudocode):

.if defined(WITH_POSTFIX)
MAIL_GID= nobody
.endif

or

.if defined(WITH_POSTFIX)
MAIL_GID=mailman
.endif

? Comments please?

(I run mailman with sendmail, and I've found it difficult to ascertain
the Right Thing.)

Chris

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/142000

[2] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2007-April/040293.html