FreeBSD Port: postgresql-server-8.4.8_1

John Bleichert syborg at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 13 18:22:27 UTC 2011

Hello,

I'm getting a bad system call error (and a core file) when I try to
initdb:

boogie:/var/log mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
boogie:/var/log chown pgsql /usr/local/pgsql/data
boogie:/var/log su - pgsql
$ /usr/local/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"pgsql".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.
The default database encoding has accordingly been set to SQL_ASCII.
The default text search configuration will be set to "english".

fixing permissions on existing directory /usr/local/pgsql/data ... ok
creating subdirectories ... ok
selecting default max_connections ... 10
selecting default shared_buffers ... 400kB
creating configuration files ... ok
creating template1 database in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/1 ... child
process was terminated by signal 12: Bad system call
initdb: removing contents of data directory "/usr/local/pgsql/data"
$ exit
boogie:/var/log uname -a
FreeBSD boogie 8.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE #1: Sat Apr 30 02:31:33
EDT 2011     root at boogie:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/BOOGIE  i386
boogie:/var/log pkg_info | grep postgres
postgresql-client-8.4.7 PostgreSQL database (client)
postgresql-server-8.4.7 The most advanced open-source database
available anywhere
boogie:/var/log

Suggestions? Shall I hit the postgresql forums? I thought I'd ask here
first.

Thanks,

John

John Bleichert       -       syborg at earthlink.net
The heat from below can burn your eyes out!