kde4/phonon/py27-qt4-phonon problem

Jim Teresco terescoj at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 18:17:57 UTC 2011

I spent a lot of time last week fighting to get my system back in
working order after an upgrade to 8.2p1 and an update of ports.  kde4
has been the main trouble spot.  I think I followed the UPDATING
instructions properly but still ran into several problems. There was
one problem I thought was worth a post here.  I was running into
errors during the build of py27-qt4-python (as part of the build of
the kde4 metaport) that it could not find a bunch of phonon includes
like abstractaudiooutput.h.  I noticed these were installed on my
system by the multimedia/phonon port into
/usr/local/kde4/include/phonon, but the build of py27-qt4-phonon was
not looking there.  I tracked it to a bad symlink.  On my system, I
had a link /usr/local/include/qt4/phonon/phonon to
/usr/local/kde4/include/phonon, but it seems it needed to be
/usr/local/include/qt4/phonon.  My guess is that the directory
/usr/local/include/qt4/phonon was leftover from some previous version,
and the ln command ended up putting the link in that directory when it
needed to replace that directory.  I'm not sure if that is something
that needed an UPDATING entry along the way or if my system just got
into a bad state, but I decided to post this for the benefit of others
who might have similar errors.

Jim Teresco