Time to mark portupgrade deprecated?

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Jul 26 11:43:49 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 01:24:35PM +0200, Michel Talon wrote:
> Le mardi 26 juillet 2011 12:38:35, vous avez ??crit :
>

> > Sure, why not kill one of the biggest strengths FreeBSD is known for
> > while we're at it...
>
> Or most obvious weakness ... The biggest strength was a good kernel, better
> than Linux, but this was years ago.
>

> > Two questions:
> >
> > Who will provide the infrastructure to build me all of my packages the
> > day/hour/moment moment I need them and constantly build me the i386,
> > amd64, athlon-tbird optimized, k8-sse3 optimized, -O2 and -O3 optimized,
> > intel-core optimized, and intel-p3 optimized batches for all of my
> > machines?
> >
> > Who will constantly build and maintain my custom set of binary packages
> > and all their dependencies built with the exact specific OPTIONS that I
> > need and without the components that I don't want?
>
> This stuff you are mentioning is the precise reason why people have problems
> with the ports system. By the way, all your optimisations have next to zero
> impact on performance, and introduce a sizable probability of bugs. And
> the components you don't want use an infinitesimal part of your hard disk and
> nothing in your memory. At the end of the day this sort of feature buys no
> benefit at all and introduces an infinite combinatoric complexity for people
> wanting to test the ports system.

Ports, manuals and the people.
This is why I use FreeBSD.
Don't mess with ports.

Have no opinion on portupgrade, never used it,
portmaster does most of what I need, except
for massive updates, e.g. recent icu update.
portmaster -r fails for me most of the time
(sometimes this is nothing to do with the
update tool, but simply because I'm on
ia64 and sparc64). I guess one has to
accept that manual intervention is
required for complex updates.