Time to mark portupgrade deprecated?

Michal Varga varga.michal at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 10:38:40 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-07-26 at 11:27 +0200, Michel Talon wrote:
[ Stuff about how we should move to binary packages because Debian. ]

Sure, why not kill one of the biggest strengths FreeBSD is known for
while we're at it...

Two questions:

Who will provide the infrastructure to build me all of my packages the
day/hour/moment moment I need them and constantly build me the i386,
amd64, athlon-tbird optimized, k8-sse3 optimized, -O2 and -O3 optimized,
intel-core optimized, and intel-p3 optimized batches for all of my
machines?

Who will constantly build and maintain my custom set of binary packages
and all their dependencies built with the exact specific OPTIONS that I
need and without the components that I don't want? Because I'm in no
mood for experiencing the hell of Linux users that can't even remove
ALSA from their systems and fully switch to 4Front OSS, as all of their
distro's packages are built against ALSA anyway, in some cases even
exclusively, with OSS support completely removed, because why not.

So no, thanks, I'm one of those that are perfectly happy with my
fundamentally flawed source-based ports. Take that away and you might as
well as kill FreeBSD for me, and probably anyone else I know.

m.

--
Michal Varga,
Stonehenge (Gmail account)