Kernel Intel GPU driver and ports

Koop Mast kwm at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jul 23 15:41:46 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-07-23 at 17:04 +0300, Kostik Belousov wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 03:51:54PM +0200, Koop Mast wrote:
> > On Sat, 2011-07-23 at 16:16 +0300, Kostik Belousov wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > > after the initial code drop, I have fixed some amount of bugs and got
> > > several positive reports from users. If KMS worked on your machine, you
> > > probably can use the driver with 3D acceleration on regular basis.
> > >
> > > As I see the state of the effort right now, there are two most
> > > impeding issues that prevent wider testing of the driver. First is
> > > the non-working display port code, causing failure in KMS for some
> > > configurations. This will be eventually fixed.
> > >
> > > Second is the very laborous procedure to install the required usermode
> > > components. The http://wiki.freebsd.org/Intel_GPU lists the requirements.
> > >
> > > The port provided ddx and mesa cannot be simply updated, because kernel
> > > driver is not yet in src/ head, not mentioning the stable branches.
> > > Also, new libdrm and mesa may be non-functional on our old non-intel DRI
> > > drivers. Additional quirk is that in-tree Xorg server is old, and git
> > > head for intel ddx cannot be built against old Xorg API.
> >
> > We ( freebsd x11@ team) are already working on a update, instructions
> > below.
> >
> > Keep in mind that this update isn't complete yet. Not all xorg ports are
> > updated yet. And there is the issue, that the old intel driver doesn't
> > work with the new xorg-server. If you using this driver and don't want
> > to update to current for the new intel driver, please don't use this
> > repo.
> >
> > I'm currently working on a update for the mesa ports (libGL*, dri etc)
> > to a version that works with the sandybridge.
> >
> > Also note that currently only the xf86-video-intel-kms driver is
> > currently tested. (since my ati card seem to have died)
> >
> > svn co http://trillian.chruetertee.ch/ports/browser/branches/xorg-dev
> It seems this is an URL for Track installation. What is the repo address ?
Oops that should be:

svn co https://trillian.chruetertee.ch/svn/ports/branches/xorg-dev

> > A basic merge script can be found here
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~miwi/xorg/xorgmerge
> >
> > just run portmaster -a, keep in mind to rebuild your xf86-* ports after
> > the server update.
> >
> From what I see using web browser, your plan is to update the stack in
> the ports. I suspect this might cause problems for non-Intel cards or
> for those who use in-tree i915.ko. In particular, new Mesa might not
> work.

That is a good possibility. I only have a sandybridge intel card to
test. The only issue currently know are the nouveau driver (which needs
mesa 7.4.4 and doesn't work with 7.6.x), and the old intel driver.

If it turns out other drivers don't work with the new setup, obviously
we need to make it so that they will work. Although I'm currently got
half a mind to just drop the nouveau driver.

-Koop