a) libgcrypt b) perl

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 20 02:45:18 UTC 2011

On 07/19/2011 17:04, jsb.__ at speakeasy.net wrote:

> Apologies for two subjects.

Don't apologize, just don't do it. :)

> Disheartened by the perl 5.12.3 5.12.4 bump; I've figured how to upgrade
> (for some reason perl-after-upgrade does little on these machines), but
> the time to do so seems excessive.
> perl5/5.12.3
> perl5/site_perl/5.12.3
> in the past have had files remaining after upgrade.

I can't speak intelligently about perl-after-upgrade since I've never
used it, but what I usually do to upgrade perl is:

portmaster perl
portmaster p5-

Then go into /usr/local/lib/perl5 and check the old directories, as you
describe below. If there are files there then I upgrade the ports that
installed them. Once that's done, I delete the old directories.

Theoretically it would not be hard to write a script that does the same
thing.

> Additionally, running
> pkg_which on all those files at those two locations, shows only one-fifth of
> the ports found by grepping /var/db/pkg/ for p5. (reason unknown).

Not everything that installs ports in /usr/local/lib/perl5/* has a p5-
prefix, nor should it.

> So while I can plan to forestall or solve slowly the upgrade, for persons
> wishing to install freebsd, and eventually have a lot of perl ports
> installed, some easier more foolproof upgrade method may be desired.

No argument there, I look forward to reviewing your work in this area. :)

> Usually I'd recc. portmaster, but two issues with it upgrading perl
> (fetches hanging forever,

There is nothing about portmaster that affects fetch. I'm not sure what
problems you're having, but it's unlikely that they are portmaster's fault.

> and wholesale upgrades halting midway, partway etc,)

Not sure about this either, but none of us can fix problems that are not
reported. :)

hth,

Doug

			-- OK Go