[RFC] A trivial change for DESKTOP_ENTRIES (take 2)

Chris Rees utisoft at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 18:36:24 UTC 2011

On 15 Jul 2011 03:16, "Stephen Montgomery-Smith" <stephen at missouri.edu>
wrote:

> On 07/14/2011 02:29 PM, Chris Rees wrote:
>>

>> On 14 Jul 2011 17:58, "Stephen Montgomery-Smith" <stephen at missouri.edu
>> <mailto:stephen at missouri.edu>> wrote:
>>  >Joe Average user who doesn't actually install the ports shouldn't be
>> expected to read UPDATING.
>>
>> Er... he really should and is expected to.
>

> The situation I am thinking of is where a group all use FreeBSD.  One
person is responsible for installation and upkeep of the computers, and
everyone else just uses them (for example, they don't have root access).

> An example of this is the University of Missouri Math Dept about 10 years
ago.  We all used FreeBSD.  Now being Mathematicians, most of us didn't have
a clue about how it all worked inside.  Most of us wouldn't even understand
what the UPDATING entries mean.

> Since then, most of the Dept have moved to Windows or the Mac.  I am one
of the few who still uses FreeBSD.  So maybe you are correct after all -
only use FreeBSD if you are a power user.

No, I see your point now, and I'm sorry. I was surprised, because I wouldn't
have expected you to say reading updating was mandatory! Now I realise
that's not what you said.

I'll return to my cave.

Chris