Call for testers -- CONF_FILES variable

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jul 14 16:46:37 UTC 2011

On Sun, 3 Jul 2011 22:12:35 +0000, Eitan Adler wrote:
>> The .pkgconf suffix tells pkgng that this file is a sample. But it
>> could
>> also be done via an attribute.
>
> I would much prefer an attribute instead of a suffix for the reasons
> previously stated.
> I hope this is not bikeshedding the issue.

The reason I choose pkgconf (we can change that name) is that it
concerns only configuration files that the maintainers DO want.

I want to make sure that maintainers are looking at the samples the
proprose to provide a usable sample, not the default one from the
distfile (the default one can still be provided as an example.)

I wanted that pkgng and the ports in general can manage default usable
configuration files, and to distinguish them from the samples. Thanks
crees@ has done the job I wanted to do myself so that and he has done it
right.

the extension name can be change from pkgconf to a smarter name like
pkgdefault or pkgexample (yes I want that users know it cames from the
package not the upstream distfiles.

I'm open to suggestion

>> Doing stuff with @exec or scripts should be for special cases, not
>> for
>> common cases such as config files.
>
> Does something like @sample work?

with current pkg_tools we have no choice than using @exec, the new tool
we can avoid that to have a dedicated behaviour.

pkgng doesn't even know about @exec and @unexec.

regards,
Bapt