Opinions sought on location of bsd.octave.mk

Chris Rees crees at freebsd.org
Sun Jul 3 19:54:38 UTC 2011

On 3 July 2011 20:39, Sahil Tandon <sahil at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-07-03 at 13:56:36 -0500, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
>
>> I am the maintainer of the octave-forge ports.  These all use a file
>> called bsd.octave.mk.
>>
>> Currently this is located in Mk.  But I have noticed that many ports
>> have their bsd.*.mk files in one of their ports.  For example,
>> bsd.mesalib.mk is in graphics/libGL.
>>
>> What is accepted opinion on this?  Should I move bsd.octave.mk to
>> math/octave-forge-base?
>
> As you note above, Mk scripts exist in various locations, so there
> appears to be no consensus.  However, I personally agree with the
> sentiment in the (somewhat dated) Wiki:
>
>  http://wiki.freebsd.org/PortsToDo#head-3834d3f3c000f64175eaac2e490a8e76f6a5a244
>
>> If you think it should be moved, please tell me how strong your view
>> is.  I am told that it requires quite a bit of effort to perform this
>> change, because CVS has to track all these changes.
>
> Unless there are strong *functional* motivations for making the change,
> why bother?  Of course I may be missing some other nuance, but just my
> 2c since you asked for it. :-)

+1 to Sahil's point of view -- I don't think it'd be worth the repo bloat.

Also.... I notice that bsd.gecko.mk was moved with no repocopy, please
don't repeat that with this if you're going to go through with moving
bsd.octave.mk!

I've updated the Wiki to talk about bsd.mesalib.mk instead of the
moved gecko too.

Chris