R: Re: Is anders@ still active as maintainer?

Barbara barbara.xxx1975 at libero.it
Fri Jul 1 17:01:42 UTC 2011

>Barbara wrote:
>>
>> On March, four months ago, after a python upgrade, I sent a pr about
>> multimedia/libkate (pr=155280) because the dependency of the port from
python
>> was missing.
>> I tried repeatedly to contact the maintainer asking about the pr without
luck.
>> Without considering the fact that, looking at Makefile in cvsweb, it seems
>> that he just did the first commit in 2008 and that there is a new version
of
>> libkate since 2010-08-10!
>
>According to this web page:
>
>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/makefile-maintainer.html
>
>it seems to me that you now have the right to have your changes
>committed without the maintainer's approval.

According to that page, he could also be replaced because more than three
months have passed, but nothing happened.
But no one took care of that. And this is worst than just don't have a pr
committed.

>> So I also proposed to add a knob to *optionally disable* libkate in
>> audio/vorbis-tools - using an option yet offered in vorbis-tools configure-
>> which is the only port depending on libkate together with
>> multimedia/ffmpeg2theora (which has been last touched by anders on 2008-08-
04).
>> The pr has been closed stating the if there is a problem with libkate it
>> should be fixed, and I can mostly agree with that, but:
>> - it seems that no one has tried to fixed it
>> - in any case, one may want to have vorbis-tools and not necessarily
libkate,
>> which seems unmantained
>
>Which PR was this?
>
>I understand your frustration because I have been through similar
>experiences.  But recently I have been added as a committer.  Since I
>empathize with you, I'll look into this and see what can be done.
>
>Stephen

Thank you Stephen.
Because of that frustration, today I filed a new pr for multimedia/libkate
(158563) which supersedes the previous one, also updating the 11 months old
libkate version.
If you are asking about vorbis-tools, the pr is 156580 but, as I said, it has
been rejected, even IMHO the reason is not correct, as I can ask for that again
soon after the problems with libkate will be fixed, so what will be the reason
then? But I don't want to be too polemic.

Cheers
Barbara