Share SVN or something for people working on the ports together

Bernhard Froehlich decke at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 26 09:09:12 UTC 2011

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 19:50:52 +0300, Subbsd wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I think - maybe it's a good idea to create something like sourceforge place
> but only for FreeBSD ports. A place online where some people can work
> together for port, not individually as it is now. For example, I decided to
> port libXXX on FreeBSD. One of the problem - i do not know -does over this
> someone. So I created a project and start some work. No matter - can I
> finish it or not - has registered and begun work. Other people see - cool,
> someone has already started work on it. Once registered, they can also
> correct or add to my work. This is to prevent a situation where a dozen
> independent people start trying to port libXXX and everyone stumbles on its
> own problems. Not all of us are professionals and have the same knowledge,
> but work together more efficient.

That's why it is always good to search first if someone has already
worked on porting libXXX. Sometimes there is already a PR with a new
port that just hasn't been committed yet or people stopped working on it
at a specific build problem. Most of the time i see this happening with
small ports that are not that much of work.

For bigger projects I try to keep the wiki page
http://wiki.freebsd.org/WantedPorts up to date. There you see the status
of such a port and who is working on it. I won't cover all of them but I
can always add more if people tell me. But it only makes sense if people
know about that page and check it before starting to work on a bigger
porting effort.

--
Bernhard Froehlich
http://www.bluelife.at/