devel/boost_build doesn't install boost.jam anywhere

Ondřej Majerech oxyd.oxyd at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 22:06:08 UTC 2011

Hey,

I'd like to use Boost.Build to build my program which uses Boost
libraries quite heavily.

Using my own build of Boost (located in my home directory), I have no
problems. I use target names like "/boost//python" in my Jamroot and I
have a "using boost ;" line in my ~/user-config.jam. No problems here.

However, I tried to build my project using Boost from ports and so far
I've been unsuccessful. I put "boost-build
/usr/local/share/boost_build ;" into ~/boost-build.jam, but all I get
is:

boost.jam: No such file or directory
/usr/local/share/boost_build/build/toolset.jam:36: in toolset.using
rule boost.init unknown in module toolset.
/usr/local/share/boost_build/build/project.jam:825: in using
/home/pure/user-config.jam:1: in modules.load
/usr/local/share/boost_build/build-system.jam:104: in load-config
/usr/local/share/boost_build/build-system.jam:154: in load
/usr/local/share/boost_build/kernel/modules.jam:261: in import
/usr/local/share/boost_build/kernel/bootstrap.jam:132: in boost-build
/usr/home/pure/boost-build.jam:1: in module scope

And indeed, the first line doesn't lie and hints at the culprit:
there's no boost.jam anywhere in the boost_build installation or any
other Boost-related port:

[starlight] ~ > pkg_info -L boost\* | grep 'boost\.jam'
[starlight] ~ >

I don't think I'm missing any Boost-related port, as I have them all:

[starlight] ~ > pkg_info -E \*boost\*
boost-all-1.45.0
boost-docs-1.45.0
boost-jam-1.45.0
boost-libs-1.45.0_1
boost-python-libs-1.45.0
boost_build-2.0.m12

I believe this is a problem with the port (or my installation thereof)
as the official Boost distribution from boost.org does include that
file:

[starlight] ~/boost/boost_1_45_0 > find . -name 'boost.jam'
./tools/build/v2/contrib/boost.jam

and my build scripts work without problems using this distribution.

Is "boost.jam" not installed intentionally or is this an oversight?

Thanks,
Ondra