Returning with question about SELECTIVELY updating ports tree

Mark Terribile materribile at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 18 23:43:34 UTC 2011

> From: Xin LI <delphij at delphij.net>
> Subject: Re: Returning with question about SELECTIVELY updating ports tree

> On 01/18/11 15:00, Mark Terribile wrote:
> [...]
> > So: How do I upgrade my ports system selectively,
> without wiping out everything?
> You can actually portsnap extract a part of the ports
> tree.  e.g.:
>
>     portsnap extract net/openldap24-server
>
> BUT, keep in mind that this might be more tricky than a
> normal portsnap
> update, as you may miss certain dependency.

> Xin LI <delphij at delphij.net>

Xin,

Will that work on the first extract?  If not, am I back to the original problem: wiping things out at random?

Is that what I really want to achieve?  Or do I want to extract the control files (INDEX?) and then update the ports one at a time?

It sounds like the only sane way to use portsnap is to run portsnap when the OS is first installed, before even building the first port.

    Mark Terribile