New port needs review: net/erlyvideo

Wesley Shields wxs at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jan 16 21:56:21 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 01:45:57PM -0800, Jason Helfman wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 12:22:59AM +0300, Ruslan Mahmatkhanov thus spake:
> >16.01.2011 23:44, Jason Helfman ??????????:
> >> On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 08:25:18PM +0300, Ruslan Mahmatkhanov thus spake:
> >As you can see this patch indeed eliminates using of git, because this
> >part isn't really needed for erlyvideo to work.
> >
> Read this wrong. Thanks, for pointing this out.
>
> >> You may wish to consider a for loop on the make install target.
> >> Are these directories created during the install process of the package? I
> >> didn't see these directories created outside of the Makefile.
> >
> >Do you mean something like this?
> >
> >DIRS=	/var/lib/${PORTNAME}/movies /var/lib/${PORTNAME}/plugins \
> >	/var/log/${PORTNAME} ${ERLYDIR} ${ETCDIR} ${WWWDIR}
> >.for dir in ${DIRS}
> >	${MKDIR} ${dir}
> >.endfor
>
> Yes, however are they created during a pkg_add command? Consider a recent
> patch I submitted for comms/minicom.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/153749
>
> Directories created in Makefile process, aren't created in the packaging
> process, unless you are putting the operations into a pkg-install or an
> @exec operation in pkg-plist, respectively.
>
> That is my understanding, and what I have found in fixing ports here and
> there. I fixed the packaging for www/tomcat55, as well. I found that as a
> port it worked fine, however package installation would fail.

Excuse me if I'm wrong but I think what Jason is getting at is empty
directories created when installing the port are not put in the package.
This is documented in the handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/plist-cleaning.html

If these directories are created so that you can install files in them
(with INSTALL_FOO macros) then Jason's suggestion is not necessary,
because the files will be registered in the package and the directories
created automatically when using the package.

Not all cases of ${MKDIR} in a port are special. :)

-- WXS