HEADS UP: Merge of binutils 2.17

Garrett Cooper yanegomi at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 00:25:17 UTC 2011

On Jan 8, 2011, at 3:10 PM, Erik Cederstrand wrote:

> Hello Pav,
>
> Den 08/01/2011 kl. 20.34 skrev Pav Lucistnik:
>
>> Package cluster is quite clever, akshully, and since this is OT here,
>> just terse comments
>
> Sorry, replied to a bad message... redirecting to current@

>> irrelevant because of bullet 2.

>> already done, swap backed md devices are used

>> these tend to have their own issues

>> this is also already done, we call it "incremental builds"

>> empty words
>
> I was pretty sure I couldn't improve anything with 5 minutes of thinking. I'm glad the most obvious things have already been done, and I'm sure you and others have put a lot of effort into this. My question was more what, if anything, can be done to speed up the cluster.
>
> Also, how long does it take to complete an exp-run on the cluster?

Erik,
	As I said before, the tinderbox / exp-run infrastructure needs to be made portable, the infrastructure needs to be there, and as extra credit (I've stated this in other emails in the past) parallelization in ports/pkg_install needs to be fixed as ports/packaging in FreeBSD doesn't work in an ACID[1]-like manner. I'd rather not repeat the reasons in greater detail. Please look for my replies to this thread on current@ for more details in "part A", and look for my replies on ports@ for more details in "part B".
Thanks,
-Garrett

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACID