ports-mgmt/portconf , ports-mgmt/portmaster and make args

b. f. bf1783 at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 1 19:44:35 UTC 2011

On 1/1/11, Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 12/31/2010 18:40, b. f. wrote:
>
>> You don't need to go to those lengths.  You could just add a
>> command-line switch, or a check for a cookie (.buildme or .nopkg, say)
>> in the corresponding PORT_DBDIR  subdirector(y|ies), or both, to allow
>> the user to indicate to portmaster that it should always build the
>> port(s) in question, even if -P is used.
>
> My preferences are for something that it's possible for other port tool
> authors to use, and something that requires the minimal necessary steps
> for the user. Since the OP is already editing knobs in ports.conf, and
> since IMO either ports.conf or make.conf are easier to transport between
> systems I think I'll give Matthew's idea a try first. :)

Whatever works, as long as it is not specific to ports-mgmt/portconf,
because many users may not use that port and yet still want to avoid
the use of packages for certain ports.  Note that various Makefiles
(Makefile.{inc,local,${ARCH},${OPSYS}, and ${ARCH}-${OPSYS}}) can also
hold per-port defines that may have to be accounted for, and that
NO_PACKAGE may preclude your use of 'make package' with -g in
portmaster (at least without some workaround like FORCE_PACKAGE).

b.