portupgrade -f advice please

Luchesar V. ILIEV luchesar.iliev at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 15:41:28 UTC 2011

On 01/01/11 17:26, David Southwell wrote:
>> I just checked the command on my system (I often use -f, but not that
>> often together with both -r and -R), and it works as expected. Could you
>> please tell what is your FreeBSD version, is the ports tree up-to-date
>> and what's your portupgrade version?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Luchesar
>>
>> P.S. The "Exclude up-to-date packages" is still done, yet portupgrade
>> continues regardless of its results when -f is specified.
>
> Sorry I do not understand what you mean by works as expected! What I am
> expecting is all affected ports to be recompiled.
>
> Freebsd:
>
> 7.2-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE-p3 #0: Thu Aug 20 12:54:34 BST 2009
>
> portupgrade-2.4.8_1,2
>
> Ports tree up-to-date
>
> What console output do you get when all your ports are uptodate and you
> give the command for a port which has upward and downward dependcies and
> you give the command:
>
> # portupgrade -frR [category]/[port]
>
> From this command the only console out I get is:
>
> [Exclude up-to-date packages done]
>
> Which seems to indicate that no packages are recompiled!
>
> That is NOT what I expect.

I'm sorry, I should have explained it clearer: when I run "portupgrade
-frR", the ports _do_ get forcefully "upgraded" with the same version.
Yes, I also get the "Exclude up-to-date packages", but then portupgrade
continues with the compilation and installation process.

I'd recommend using the "-v" option as well, as it might show some
problems that go unnoticed at the moment.

In fact, I noticed that you were running:

# portupgrade -frR apache22

while in fact you should run:

# portupgrade -frR apache

I pretty much suspect that if you run that latest command, you'd get
what you expect. :)

Cheers,
Luchesar