portupgrade -f advice please

David Southwell david at vizion2000.net
Sat Jan 1 15:26:06 UTC 2011

> >> 	Assuming the reoirt if generated output is verbatim, I beleive
> >>
> >> this is behaving as you desire.  Usually the "Excluding up-to-date
> >> packages" line includes what I believe is one dot per package so
> >> excluded.
> >>
> >> 	I would argue a better notification would be something like:
> >>
> >> 	'R' and 'f' options specifed - skipping up-to-date dependency checks.
> >>
> >> 					Robert Huff
> >
> > No I am wanting to force an upgrade to all packages irrespective as to
> > whether they are up to date.
> >
> > What is happening is that no packages are being upgraded!
> >
> > The only response I am getting is for portupgrade to skip the upgrade of
> > all packages on the grounds they are "up to date".
> >
> > man portupgrade says -f forces the upgrade of the packages EVEN IF it is
> > a reinstall of the same version. I want all the nominated ports and all
> > the ports affected by -rR to be forced to upgrade.
>
> I just checked the command on my system (I often use -f, but not that
> often together with both -r and -R), and it works as expected. Could you
> please tell what is your FreeBSD version, is the ports tree up-to-date
> and what's your portupgrade version?
>
> Cheers,
> Luchesar
>
> P.S. The "Exclude up-to-date packages" is still done, yet portupgrade
> continues regardless of its results when -f is specified.
Sorry I do not understand what you mean by works as expected! What I am
expecting is all affected ports to be recompiled.
Freebsd:

 7.2-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE-p3 #0: Thu Aug 20 12:54:34 BST 2009

portupgrade-2.4.8_1,2

Ports tree up-to-date

What console output do you get when all your ports are uptodate and you give
the command for a port which has upward and downward dependcies and you give
the command:

# portupgrade -frR  [category]/[port]

From this command the only console out I get is:
[Exclude up-to-date packages  done]

Which seems to indicate that no packages are recompiled!
That is NOT what I expect.

David
Photographic Artist
Permanent Installations & Design
Creative Imagery and Advanced Digital Techniques
High Dynamic Range Photography & Official Portraiture
Combined darkroom & digital creations
& Systems Adminstrator for the vizion2000.net network