Installing FreeBSD from iso without CD, and one more question

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Jan 1 14:39:08 UTC 2011

On 01/01/2011 12:23, majid fooladpour wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am new to FreeBSD and I have a few questions which may or may not be
> related directly to ports.
>
> I have downloaded FreeBSD-8.1-RELEASE-i386-bootonly.iso, is there
> anyway to install FreeBSD with this on a Flash memory (without burning
> a CD)?

You want one of the USB memory-stick images for that -- eg.

http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/8.2/FreeBSD-8.2-RC1-i386-memstick.img

Actually, if you're running a reasonably up-to-date CPU, then you're
probably better of with a 64bit system:

http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-amd64/8.2/FreeBSD-8.2-RC1-amd64-memstick.img

> - I have installed FreeBSD 6.2 from a bootable CD,

... which is quite a long time out of support now: you really want 8.x
for a new install.

> - I know how to mount the usb flash in FreeBSD 6.2
> - I have Windows XP on another hard drive and I can open the iso file
> inin there with 7zip and extract the files/folders to rearrange them
> and save the result back to flash disk.

You can do everything you need from Unix -- it will take a little time
before you learn all the commands and so forth you need, but it will
ultimately give you better results.

> I thought when you install a *nix like system you are ready to go with
> all you need for web development. This does not seem to be true. I

Correct.  Installing the OS is just the beginning.  FreeBSD is not
supplied pre-configured to perform any particular role: while it can do
just about anything, it takes the admin (ie. you) to put the necessary
pieces together.

> need to set up a LAMP environment. In Windows I got that in two steps:
> 1. Downloaded XAMPP from Apache Friends and installed (and got Apache
> + PHP + MySQL),
> 2. Downloaded Notepad++ and installed
> What should I do in FreeBSD to get the same envo? - And I really want
> the ability to have debugging on PHP which I missed on Windows.

Well, LAMP ==> Linux + Apache + MySQL + PHP.  Forget the Linux part --
you've already chosen a superior alternative.  The other three
components you'll need to install from ports.  The following commands
should get you pretty much where you need to be:

   # portsnap fetch install
   # cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portmaster
   # make all install clean
   # rehash
   # portmaster databases/mysql55-server
   # portmaster www/apache22
   # portmaster lang/php5

You'll get a number of OPTIONs dialogues during the course of that: for
the most part, you can just take the defaults *but* when installing
lang/php5 make sure you check the option 'Build Apache Module'.

You will also need to install various other PHP, pear and pecl modules
to give you all the required PHP functionality -- it's best to use the
ports to do that where the appropriate bits are available from ports.

Now, that, plus a bit of work on configuration files is what you need to
build a production webserver.  For development support, you'll need to
install a bunch of other software.  Precisely what to install is a
matter of personal taste.  There are a number of different ones
available.  Given you're coming from a Windows environment, you'll
probably find one of the all-singing, all-dancing IDEs closest to what
you're used to.  Probably java/phpeclipse would be a good one to try,
but it needs you to install a lot of other stuff, including java.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3