xf86-video-ati 6.14.0 crashes System

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at acm.org
Mon Feb 28 21:42:00 UTC 2011

On 2011-Feb-27 20:50:03 +0000, Christian Weisgerber <naddy at mips.inka.de> wrote:
>Also reported by me for the ATI Radeon RV370 X300 SE and somebody
>else for a differently branded card with the same chip.

Breaks my ATI Technologies Inc RV380 [Radeon X600 (PCIE)] as well.

I have discovered that disabling DRI or acceleration makes it work
(though that's not really a solution).  But I guess it wouldn't be
an "upgrade" from the X.org Consortium without some arbitrary and
unnecessary regression.

With Option "Log" "sync", the tail end of the X.org log looks like:
(II) RADEON(0): [dri] Visual configs initialized
(II) RADEON(0): RADEONRestoreMemMapRegisters() :
(II) RADEON(0):   MC_FB_LOCATION   : 0xe7ffe000 0x1fff0000
(II) RADEON(0):   MC_AGP_LOCATION  : 0xffffffc0
(==) RADEON(0): Backing store disabled
(II) RADEON(0): [DRI] installation complete

>As a workaround, install the version 6.13 driver.  A separate port
>has been created for it.
>
># portupgrade -o x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati613 xf86-video-ati

This works for me as long as DynamicPM is left disabled.  Enabling
it also causes a hard lockup.

--
Peter Jeremy