xf86-video-ati 6.14.0 crashes System

Christoph Moench-Tegeder cmt at burggraben.net
Sun Feb 27 18:19:54 UTC 2011

## Heino Tiedemann (rotkaps_spam_trap at gmx.de):

> after update tu the new xorg on my FreeBSD8 my system crashes all time
> I start X.

Same here with

drm0: <ATI Radeon X1550 64-bit> on vgapci0
info: [drm] MSI enabled 1 message(s)
vgapci0: child drm0 requested pci_enable_busmaster
info: [drm] Initialized radeon 1.31.0 20080613
info: [drm] Setting GART location based on new memory map
info: [drm] Loading R500 Microcode
info: [drm] Num pipes: 1
info: [drm] writeback test succeeded in 1 usecs

on FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE (amd64). System crashes hard when starting X,
no reaction on neither keyboard nor network (no arp, ping, ...).
Changing the driver module to radeonhd fixed the problem for me (I was
using ati/radeon as the radeonhd module caused trouble in the past, but
that seems to be fixed now). Xorg -configure now chosen radeonhd, too.

When using the ati/radeon driver, the system crashes too fast to leave
any log (literally, Xorg.0.log was not changed), so I can't provide any
information from there.

Regards,
Christoph

--