Dovecot Sieve

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 21 22:32:47 UTC 2011

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 20:42:20 +0100
Niclas Zeising <niclas.zeising at gmail.com> wrote:

> As far as I can tell, dovecot-managesieve is the server part of sieve.
> You can have it running to be able to use a sieve client to define
> your sieve programs, instead of having to log on to the mail server
> and edit a script file on the local harddrive. This is convenient if
> you use virtual users or just don't want to give every user a login
> shell on the mail server, but still make it possible for them to
> define their own mail sorting rules.

In practice managesieve support isn't widespread enough for it to be a
sole mean of updating scripts, so it's common to provide a webpage for
the purpose,  which may use managesieve as a standard interface. Going
through  managesieve prevents a script with syntax errors overwriting a
working script.