how to bootstrap libtool?

Michael Scheidell michael.scheidell at secnap.com
Wed Feb 9 19:14:24 UTC 2011

On 2/9/11 2:11 PM, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> On Feb 9, 2011, at 10:35 AM, Michael Scheidell wrote:
>> On 2/9/11 1:32 PM, Chuck Swiger wrote:
>>> You should list libnet11 as both BUILD_DEPENDS and RUN_DEPENDS, likely...
>> I do.
>>
>> didn't help (specifically referring to the new 2.9.0.3 security/snort port)
>>
>> I THINK this cludge helped: but I am not happy with it.  not sure I understand portlint complaints about !=, or if there is/was a better way.

> Running portlint shows both the issue and an URL for the recommended approach:

> WARN: Makefile: [63]: use of != in assignments is almost never a good thing to do.  Try to avoid using them.  See http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2008-July/049777.html for some helpful hints on what to do instead.
> WARN: Makefile: possible use of absolute pathname "/var/log/snort".
> 0 fatal errors and 2 warnings found.
>
> The problem with != is that is is evaluated in a subshell regardless of whether the results are needed, and it happens while the Makefile is first being read, before it tries to figure out which targets need to be processed.  This is why setting libnet in BUILD_DEPENDS isn't being processed until after these commands are run (or fail to run, as above).

which is useless information to me.  don't know why, been doing freebsd
for 10 years, been a port maintainer for.. ? 4? 5? don't remember.

still that is useless information, and doesn't make any sense.

doesn't tell me what,why, how, or when to replace what lines with what
alternatives.

yes, I can hard code it, but I don't really understand what those
(inherited lines) actually do.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
o: 561-999-5000
 >*| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

    * Certified SNORT Integrator
    * Best in Email Security,2010: Network Products Guide
    * King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine 2008