How to not use OPTIMIZED_FLAGS properly

b. f. bf1783 at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 7 20:52:59 UTC 2011

On 2/7/11, Ruslan Mahmatkhanov <cvs-src at yandex.ru> wrote:
> Yes. I get it wrong what Konstantin and portlint are said. Sorry.
> CFLAGS=-O0 out of CONFIGURE_ENV works just fine. Thanks.

Note that CFLAGS=-O0 is (even) more restrictive than CFLAGS+=-O0 --
the latter just overrides the -On setting for n > 0, while the former
also overrides all other user flags.  Generally speaking, the latter
should be preferred, as part of our attempt to honor user-defined
CFLAGS.
>> This seems pessimistic, by the way.  Have you tried adding other
>> compiler flags, like those to control the compiler's memory usage? Or
>> using another compiler via USE_GCC, or patching the source code?
> Yes, i tried different flags that affect gcc memory usage, but w/o any
> success. I'm actually started from patching source code - removing
> optimization flags from distribution Makefiles.

That's a start.  But I think that this needs more investigation,
beginning with the code that causes the base system compiler to become
a hog.

b.