net/mpich2: libraries with many 'undefined symbols'

Rainer Hurling rhurlin at gwdg.de
Wed Feb 2 20:54:40 UTC 2011

Dear list,

since there is no maintainer for net/mpich2 I am writing directly to the
list. Hope this is ok.

I need MPICH2 for math/R (package Rmpi) and others (e.g. upcoming new
package math/sprng, PR 154249). Software using MPICH2 complains about
'undefined symbols' like 'MPL_trfree'.

Looking into libmpich.so.2.0 (after building net/mpich2), it shows many
undefined symbols (symbol names are stripped in installed version?):

nm work/mpich2-1.3/lib/libmpich.so.2.0 | grep " U "
                  U MPL_TrSetMaxMem
                  U MPL_env2bool
                  U MPL_env2int
                  U MPL_env2range
                  U MPL_env2str
                  U MPL_trDebugLevel
                  U MPL_trcalloc
                  U MPL_trdump
                  U MPL_trfree
                  U MPL_trid

I googled a lot and it seems that other OS have problems with these
undefined symbols, too. For Gentoo, Ubuntu and some other Linuxes there
are patches, which do not work for FreeBSD.

Because I am not a developer and I have almost no skills in programming
C and C++, I would like to ask if someone could have a look at this
problem. At the moment MPICH2 is useless for applications which need
MPL_ symbols.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Rainer Hurling