TeamSpeak server port

Wesley Shields wxs at FreeBSD.org
Tue Feb 1 20:34:43 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 08:53:41PM +0100, Richard Hirner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to make a port for TeamSpeak 3. I have some questions before
> I can submit it. I appended it to this mail as shar:
>
> 1) There's already a teamspeak_server port for the TeamSpeak 2 server.
> TS2 is not widely used anymore, only available for x86 and the port is
> not maintained. Therefor I think that it would be better to take over
> this port instead of creating a new teamspeak3-server port (although TS2
> and TS3 are separate products in some kind). It that OK?

I see no reason to keep an old version in the tree that nobody is likely
using anymore if there is a newer version out. I'd say whatever you're
working on should be an update of audio/teamspeak_server to version 3.

The fact that it's been unmaintained for over a year now, and the last
update was 2 years ago (to the day) makes me think that as the new
maintainer you can do what you want and nobody is likely to care. :)

> 2) Are there naming conventions? The old port is named teamspeak_server
> while there are other ports like mysql-server (- instead of _).

Not that I'm aware of, but I'm sure someone somewhere will speak up. If
it's not officially documented you're allowed to use your best
judgment.

> 3) There are conditional DISTFILES in the port and I don't know if this
> is OK.

This is done in other ports. See devel/git and the WITH_HTMLDOCS option
which adds to DISTFILES. Just be sure to put all optional distfiles in
distinfo.

-- WXS