Stop in /usr/ports/multimedia/x264

Kevin Oberman kob6558 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 21:06:31 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Chris Rees <utisoft at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22 Dec 2011 18:20, "Ruslan Mahmatkhanov" <cvs-src at yandex.ru> wrote:
>>
>> Chris Rees wrote on 22.12.2011 22:12:

>> > True, since 9 sh supports == -- however I might label this compatibility
>> > shims, rather than 'improvements'...
>> >
>> > Chris
>>
>> I'm talking about overall /bin/sh work, not only about compatibility
>> with some `non-true' shells. I know many things was done and tests
>> coverage is terrific.
>> So may we imply dependency on shells/bash and specific configure patches
>> only if OSVERSION < 900000?
>>

> Trouble is with these problems is that they can hide, and don't always
> result in outright failure (i've experienced this with musicpd and Clamav).
>
> The scripts need a proper audit before being declared sh-safe.
>
> Chris

Yes! Even with versions where it works, I get a number of errors
reported during configure. So, while it built, I am not sure that it
built "right". I may be lacking optimizations or picking up bugs.

Either the script should be fixed to be fully compatible with sh or
bash should be used. I don't mind if it is dependent on bash for
pre-9.0, but, again, I doubt many systems running multimedia apps lack
the bash port, already, so requiring bash is probably going to impact
few and the impact is pretty minor!
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558 at gmail.com