lang/gcc46

Gerald Pfeifer gerald at pfeifer.com
Wed Dec 14 01:30:50 UTC 2011

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> I wondered why the ports collection used development snapshots of gcc
> rather than stable releases.

All you _should_ need to run anything from the FreeBSD Ports Collection
is either the system compiler (GCC or clang) or lang/gcc all of which
are updated very rarely.

Any other version of lang/gcc you need to use is indicative of an issue
with some other port (short of the GNUstep ports which we are in the
process of addressing now that lang/gcc also provide Objective-C).

In case you are interested, I have been spending quite some effort
over the last years to minimize the number of such ports and here
is the list of remaining ones:

  cad/salome/Makefile.ext		USE_GCC=4.4

  cad/sceptre/Makefile			USE_FORTRAN=g77
  graphics/p5-PGPLOT/Makefile		USE_FORTRAN=g77
  science/elmer-matc/Makefile		USE_FORTRAN=g77
  science/elmerpost/Makefile		USE_FORTRAN=g77

Without these, lang/gcc44 and lang/gcc34, respectively, could be
obsoleted and removed.

Gerald